So I follow a fantastic blog called Les Mis Confessions (lesmisconfessions.tumblr.com)
Annnnyway, I recently saw my confession come up. I also saw how people reacted:
i liked javert when he was doing his job and chasing jean valjean, but hated him when he committed suicide. i thought he was being over-dramatic.
ii. And this is how people reacted:
Did you read the Brick?
… People who face the very real situation of committing suicide oftentimes do it because they feel there’s no other choice. There’s nothing ‘dramatic’ over or not about it.
I suppose you live in a comfy bubble and have never had the foundation of your very existence shaken.
ellicler said: I suggest you read Hugo’s original text, at the very least the chapter called ‘Javert Derailed’. It might give you a new perspective.
First of all, have you even read The Brick? Seriously?
Javert’s death is probably one of the most tragic parts, because he doesn’t die heroically or romantically. He doesn’t kill himself to be all angsty and “Oh, I’ll show that evil bread stealing criminal”, his entire core belief system had been shattered.
Second of all,
Suicide is not over-dramatic and done to seek attention. For some people, they see no other way to escape from their lives. Look. Have you ever wanted to die? Do you know how that feels?
Judging by this confession, I would think not.
I would write paragraph after paragraph about society belittling and stereotyping suicide as just attention-seeking melodrama and why that is bullshit, or how the character wasn’t actually doing his job so much as unhealthily obsessing, but I’ll just save us all the time and sum up my thoughts on this confession thusly…
…and leave it at that.
So I guess the first thing to do would be to answer those questions.
Question 1 “Have you read the brick?”
Answer: Well, yes and no, I am currently halfway through the brick but I have read ‘Javert in Disarray’ (check your facts ellicler…) and it was not tragic, it just re-affirmed my belief that he was being over dramatic. Actually it could have been a turning point for him he was beginning to see that prisoners were in fact real people.
Question 2 “Have you ever wanted to die? Do you know how that feels?”
Answer: Actually, inspectorkaramazova, yeah, I have. I know exactly how it feels.
And that is that for Q&A but there are still a few points I would like to clear up
- I said Javert was being over-dramatic when he killed himself. Just Javert, I never said anything about anyone else committing suicide. Each case is different, each person is different.
- Um, I’m 17 so no I don’t believe I’ve ever ‘had the foundation of my very existence shaken’ because I don’t really have much foundation. But I have had moments where it feels like my entire world is falling apart. My parents splitting, friends changing, me breaking my own moral code et cetera. And don’t DO NOT belittle those moments by saying “Yeah well most people have to deal with those things.” That would be just as bad as you’re all assuming I am being. Which brings me to my next point
- WHEN? When did I ever say that suicide was ‘attention seeking’ All I said was that Javert was being over dramatic when he killed himself. And I still think he was. I know suicide is not attention seeking, and I know that those feelings are absolutely awful. But to say that it’s not dramatic is just so wrong. It is very dramatic, theatrically, maybe not. But dramatic? Hell yes. I’m not belittling suicide. I would never do that.
- last but not least, you’re all assuming I’m some pretentious snob who assumes that people who commit suicide are a bunch of whiny little bitches who just need to get their shit together. Well isn’t that interesting that you’re allowed to assume things about me that aren’t true but I’m apparently not. Get off your high horses people and get a grasp on the situation next time before you judge.
And thats all I have to say on the subject.
- ellicler reblogged this from madnessgraceandwilpower and added:
- dreaminginmay said: Aren’t people just fucking fantastic? These guys all sound like assholes…….
- madnessgraceandwilpower posted this